Dance of the Blessed Spirits, circa 1950
Unmounted (ref: 5587)
Signed and inscribed with title
Pen ink and wash heightened with white
4 x 8 3/4 (9.5 x 22.2 cm).(sheet size)
Tags: Fyffe Christie men
Provenance: in the artist’s possession until 1979; thence with
his wife Eleanor Christie-Chatterley until 2012.
Literature: Buckman, David, Nature and Humanity, The Work
of Fyffe Christie, 1918:1979, Sansom & Co, 2004
This design was painted on the lid of a virginals for the music teacher at Park Modern school (afterwards Barking Abbey)
Christie studied at Glasgow School of Art, 1946-50, mural painting
under Walter Pritchard. He gained the Newberry Medal in 1950 and a
post-diploma year's study. After a period teaching and a six-month
travelling scholarship - to which period this watercolour dates - Christie resumed teaching
and completed many murals, including Glasgow University and the Iona
Community House. With his wife Eleanor, a sculptor, he moved to London
in 1957 and again taught, while completing murals and much other work.
We are grateful to Eleanor Christie-Chatterley for assistance.